Thursday, October 27, 2011

Who wears the pants in this relationship?

To introduce us, I guess it's always important to start with our names.

Basically we have the most confusing names ever. Ali and Kourtney Mardanlou.

So I figure we'd address the problems most people seem to have with our names:

People aways wonder which of us is the boy, and which is the girl. Yes, Ali tends to be a girl name. But in our situation, Ali wears the pants.

Once people figure out that Ali is the man, pronunciation suddenly becomes a problem:
People like to say it like Ollie. You know,like Mohammed Ali. False. It is Ali, as in Alley, or Allie.

Generally Kourtney doesn't get butchered too much in the pronunciation, spelling is where it gets you. I was always so sad when I was younger because I could never find one of those name keychains that has my name spelled correctly.

Then there is our last name Mardanlou. Mardanlou. It's a mouthful. We hear Mardenlouw, Mardnlooo, Mardaanlouw...basically anything. A lot of times people just don't even try.

As I'm sure you are wondering, because the subject of how to say our last name is so interesting, It is pronounced Mar Dan Lou. Like, 3 first names put altogether. (And yes there is a superrrrr old lady in our ward name Mar, so it is a name.) Oh and Lou is like 'skip to my lou,' none of this louw stuff.

So for purposes of this blog, we will keep our names simple: Al and Kourt. Though I'm sure I will throw some Alis and Kourtneys in there, just to shake things up.

No comments:

Post a Comment